A quarterly magazine, The Okinawan is the first Okinawa-focused premier iconic English travel magazine geared towards worldwide karate enthusiasts and travelers. Featuring informative, inspiring and high-quality contents about Okinawa and traditional karate, The Okinawan is your international passport to the tropical and adventure destinations that are the Ryukyu Islands and Okinawa.
Go to the subscribe page
What it is?
Magazine name: The Okinawan
Founding date: 2007
Issue dates: January, April, July and October
Size: 275 mm x 227 mm
Page count: 56 pages, full color
Languages: Multilingual (English, Japanese, French and Spanish)
Inside The Okinawan
The Okinawan provides in-depth coverage of Okinawa through four main topics: Culture, Nature, Karate and People, with focus on products of Okinawa.
Here are a few stories scheduled to appear in The Okinawan:
Nature section: Diving fun, Rain forests of Okinawa, Yaeyama islands, etc.
Culture section: The capital - Shuri, Sites and sounds of festivals, etc.
People: Interviews of artists and personalities like Naka Bokunen, etc.
Karate: The living karate island, Dojo of Okinawa, Traditions & Masters, etc.
Product section: Awamori, Bingata, Pottery, Ryukyuan Cuisine, etc.
The publisher of The Okinawan, Okinawa Media Planning Co. Ltd., was founded in January 2007. To create the magazine, we have gathered an international team based in Okinawa, Japan and overseas. Staff members, writers, photographers and consultants are from Canada, the UK, France, Japan, Italy, Okinawa, Switzerland, Spain and the United States.
Abouth the publisher
- Name: Okinawa Media Planning Co., Ltd.
- Japan Office: 2-5-7-205 Omoromachi, Naha City, Okinawa, Japan 900-0006
- TEL: +81-98-863-5514 FAX: +81-98-863-5574
- Main company website Okinawa Media Planning
- CEO: Osamu Umazume
- Editor in chief of The Okinawan: Miguel Da Luz
- Business: Publishing, translation & interpretation, tourism related services, etc.
- Capital: 5,000,000 yen
- Established: January 10, 2007
- Editing and publishing the "Okinawa Karate News"
- The Okinawa Karatedo Kobudo Support Center website management
- Coordination for The History Channel’s “Human Weapon” series karate program, broadcast in 2007 in the USA and in 2008 in Japan
- Coordination for Arte's program "Tout le monde a la mer -Everyone to the beach" to be broadcast in August 2008